Can you create a seamless file?

I am trying to create a seamless file and a newbie :slight_smile: HELP! please and thank you!

Hey!

If you are asking about creating seamless patterns for Lunacy, then the answer is yes, you can do that!

1. The first step is to create a square on an Artboard by pressing R, holding down Shift and dragging the mouse across the screen. This square will be the background of our pattern. Make sure that the square doesn’t have round corners.

2. Place down the elements of the pattern. In my example I will use some components from a style called Pale. We will need to place some elements in such a way that a part of them will be outside of the square.

1. If you are using SVG elements as I do, you need to rasterize them first by right-clicking on each element and selecting Rasterize selection. Don’t forget about our square background!

2. Then we need to cut away the parts that stick out of the square. Click on an element and press Enter. Three options will appear. Choose Scissors tool. Start selecting the part that is out of the boundaries. Make sure that you don’t select any extra pixels by zooming in closely while selecting. You may need to toggle the Pixel Grid on in the View menu.

3. Carefully move the cut-out to the opposite end of the square. You can either move it along the axis while holding down Shift, using arrow keys or by clicking and dragging X or Y values in the Inspector menu on the right. Check that pixels are perfectly aligned with the edge of the square.

An almost-ready tile will look like this:

1. Now select the tile and all its parts, rasterize the whole selection, press Enter and carefully crop the edges of the square.

1. The next step is to copy and paste our tile into a new document and save it as .png

1. Create a third document and place down a rectangle. Make it any size you want, 1920x1080 for example. This rectangle will contain our complete pattern. Select the shape and click on a small colored square in the Fills section of Inspector. In the pop-up menu select Image Fill (last option) at the top, press Choose Image and open the previously exported tile. Select Tile mode instead of Fill and adjust the scale as needed.

1. Voilà! Now we can set our pretty pattern as background on every device we have or use it for trendy clothing prints :yum:

I am sure it is possible to streamline the process using shortcuts and a bit more advanced techniques, but this gets the job done too. It is a simple task, but pixels, sub-pixels and cropping can make it tricky. Just be patient!

7 Likes

WOW I’m gonna try it myself, nice tutorial
THX!

2 Likes

thank you so much!!!

1 Like