Lunacy Usability Testing (MacOS and Linux Beta)

Could you specify your version of OS, please?

@Alex_L, the 8.0.0.225 version isnā€™t working on:
galliumos:~$ cat /etc/os-release
NAME=ā€œGalliumOSā€
VERSION=ā€œ3.1 (Bismuth)ā€
ID=galliumos
ID_LIKE=ā€œubuntu debianā€
PRETTY_NAME=ā€œGalliumOS 3.1ā€
VERSION_ID=ā€œ3.1ā€
VERSION_CODENAME=bismuth
UBUNTU_CODENAME=bionic

(URLs removed)

Soā€¦ similar to Ubuntu 18.04. Previous release/beta versions were working great on this system. Is there a list of previous .DEB package versions downloadable on the website somewhere? I couldnā€™t find it. If I reinstall 8.0.0.115, that one works fine.

Builds 8.0.0.228 and 8.0.0.230 have the same problem. Hangs on ā€œparsingā€¦ā€ when opening any document including the tutorial.

Lunacy 8 is made for Ubuntu 20.04lts. Other versions of Ubuntu, including Ubuntu 18.04, are supported as is. I would recommend to update to 20.04 and see if the issue is still there.

@Alex_L Updating to Ubuntu 20.04 is not going to happen any time soon. That will break everything else. Can you make the build just before 8.0.0.225 DEB package available for download? Everything before that build worked beautifully!

Same problem appears on Debian 11 Bullseye with kernel 5.10.0-8-amd64 with Xfce 4.16 and an Intel Xeon E3-1220L V2 CPU. Lunacy 8.0.0.232 (8.0.6) hangs at ā€œparsingā€¦ā€ when opening the default tutorial. Canā€™t open anything else.

@Alex_L Okay, I tried Ubuntu 21.10 in a virtual machine. Lunacy.deb 8.0.6 (232) as downloaded from ā€œDirect Download .DEBā€ on the icons8 lunacy website. Same problem. On open, Lunacy hangs at ā€œParsingā€¦ā€ and never loads the Tutorial or any other file. I donā€™t know how youā€™re getting it to work on Ubuntu now. Does it ONLY work on 20.04? Nothing newer and nothing older?

May I ask you to give it another shot with this version and try cleaning the ~/home/.local/share/icons8/lunacy/ folder?

Blockquote May I ask you to give it another shot with this version and try cleaning the ~/home/.local/share/icons8/lunacy/ folder?

Can you provide a download link to the 8.0.0.225 DEB package? I didnā€™t save that one. Also, Iā€™d love to re-test the build before that one as well, as 225 is the one where the parsing problem/hang started. 232 definitely has the same problem with a clean home folder as I installed that one two separate fresh systems.

We will able to forward you the 8.0.0.225 DEB package only sometime next week. Meanwhile, you can try snap: Install Lunacy on Linux | Snap Store

UPDATE: try deleting the whole icons8 folder from ~/home/.local/share.

UPDATE: try deleting the whole icons8 folder from ~/home/.local/share .

@Alex_L No change. Lunacy does recreate the icons8 folder on launch though.
Here are some steps to reproduce the problem on your system. (It happens on 3 of my systems):

1. Create new Virtual Machine in Hyper-V: 4096Mb RAM, 1 processor, default switch
  2. Download latest Ubuntu ISO image
  3. Add Ubuntu ISO image as the first boot option for the Hyper-V virtual machine
  4. Boot to ISO image, install Ubuntu 21.10, reboot to VHDX installed Ubuntu 21.10 system
  5. Open Firefox in Ubuntu, go to Icons8 Lunacy website
  6. Download Lunacy.deb from ā€œDirect download x64ā€ button
  7. Double click Lunacy.deb after downloaded, click install.
  8. Launch Lunacy
  9. GUI loads and content area hangs at ā€œParsingā€¦ā€ Most menus donā€™t work, canā€™t close the program.

The issue that youā€™ve describe can be solved via those actions:

1. Kill the Lunacy process or restart your OS;
  2. Delete the whole icons8 folder from ~/home/.local/share;
  3. Restart Lunacy.

Weā€™ve tested this method multiple times and it seems to be working without any issues.

Hereā€™s a video of that procedure, which Iā€™ve also tried multiple times, and the video shows that Lunacy still wonā€™t run after deleting the icons8 folder. What are you doing differently that gets it to work?
Lunacy 8.0.6 hangs at launch on Ubuntu - YouTube

Adam, you were right ā€“ weā€™ve finally found this bug in the .deb version. I would recommend to use the snap version until we fix it: Install Lunacy on Linux | Snap Store

As for 8.0.0.225 DEB package, we wonā€™t be able to forward it to you in the nearest future. There was an update of root libraries between 8.0.5 and 8.0.6, so weā€™ll need to wait to get the older package without messing up the pipelines and the newest versions of Lunacy for Linux.

@Alex_L Thanks! I think I can keep using 8.0.0.115ā€™s DEB package as that works beautifully, but will keep the virtual machine around to test future updates. I donā€™t really need Snapd taking up more resources. You donā€™t need to send 8.0.0.225 if you can fix future versions now that you can reproduce the bug. Itā€™s probably a missing dependency, right?

No problem, Adam! The bug seems to be connected with the latest Skia update.

@Alex_L, you might consider doing a ā€œstableā€ update channel and an ā€œunstableā€ update channel for situations like this. Thatā€™s what a lot of other software developers do. That way people who want the one that definitely works can get the stable channel while people who want the new features can get the unstable channel. Other devs like LibreOffice have an archive of older versions available for download, also for situations like this where an update breaks something.

Thatā€™s a great idea! Iā€™ll share it with the Lunacy team and weā€™ll see what weā€™ll be able to come up with.

Iā€™m using the latest version (updated today) on the very latest OSX Big Sur, Swedish keyboard & language on my computer.

It seems to be a clash between the shortcuts for different tools in Lunacy and actually just wanting to add some text.

I have tried this on many different pages, itā€™s the same. Our app does not require any plugins so this is all done by using our markdown language and structure on layers, groups etc.

Iā€™m using Google Fonts since we use them frequently in all of our demos, marketing etc. Mostly Work Sans & Poppins.

Iā€™m using a mix of shared styles and no shared styles.