ONErpm copyright claims in YouTube

I just recently started posting a series of videos to YouTube using the same Icons8 song in each - Happy Step, by Nordgroove. There is no Content ID noted on the music in Icons8.

With each video upload to YouTube, a copyright claim has been asserted by ONErpm. I have disputed the claim each time, and provided clarification that I have an annual subscription to Icons8. So far, the disputes have been agreed in my favour. However, I have several more videos to upload in this series, and it is a colossal waste of my time having to go through the dispute process every single time.

What is the point of an annual subscription to Icons8, and making an effort to only use music that doesn’t show ‘Content ID’, if I have to go through this dispute process every single time? Can Icons8 take responsibility for dealing with the technical back end so that someone with a registered subscription doesn’t have the use of licensed music flagged like this, and/or deal directly with ONErpm?

1 Like

Hi there!

We understand your frustration. The truth is that any track can get a ContentID claim from YouTube, and there’s little that can be done about it on our end. Unfortunately, we have no power over YouTube rules and policies.

What we can do is provide our users with instructions on how to deal with a ContentID claim in case they receive it. And as in your case, the disputes are resolved in favor of our clients. These videos don’t get deleted, and the monetization is paid out after the dispute is closed.

We thank you for your understanding and patience.

Hi there,

Thank you for your reply. I have to say I’m disappointed, though. Why try to pass the blame onto YouTube when my concern is with the fact that Icons8 is in a position to ensure that the music made available to subscribers doesn’t include the coding that triggers a copyright claim, yet chooses to not do so, leaving paid subscribers to deal with the hassle of disputing copyright claims. That’s pretty poor customer service.

I totally understand your disappointment. It sounds like we’re trying to pass the blame, but in fact, there’s no technical opportunity that would let us eliminate the issue. YouTube has a music database and the authors that we collaborate with register their music there, sometimes even without letting us know about it. Here’s how it works: How Content ID works - YouTube Help

The algorithms flag down the music that they recognize and users receive a ContentID claim. But in comparison to a copyright claim, it could be disputed and retracted but will not result in a strike.

Disputing claims every time is a nuisance for sure, I feel you. But so far it’s the only way to deal with YouTube. If we could eliminate this obstacle for you we sure would. We hope for your understanding in this matter.

2 Likes