I appreciate you guys taking the time to listen and respond. To counter what I’m saying, look at IconFinder: https://www.iconfinder.com/buy-icons
They charge more than Icons8, which I just discovered yesterday. Look, maybe your prices are reasonable for a certain audience … an audience that uses your app more than I do, makes more money from the designs they are working on, or works on a team and is more an enterprise customer that can afford your pricing.
For me, I’m a product manager. I create designs in my day job, but not super frequently. I use Icons8 for my day job, but probably only once or twice a month on average. My company would likely be able to afford a monthly fee to pay for Icons8.
I also do freelance design/dev and create side projects for fun/learning and sometimes profit. In this capacity, I use Icons8 more frequently than my day job and I carefully evaluate every monthly subscription I pay for. Doing so allows me to keep my monthly costs low enough where I don’t have pressure to earn enough revenue to cover my costs.
So, paying $24/mo for my freelance/side projects is a lot. In fact, it would be my largest monthly payment … more than even running individual servers on DigitalOcean that power my apps.
In terms of what I’d like to see from you all, here’s some ideas:
- allow users of Icons8 app to import their own icon sets. This would make the app immensely more valuable and likely drive more users to purchase the premium icons.
- provide an “individual” plan for freelancers that is more affordable and keep some of the premium features of the app and the files for the higher paid plans. Perhaps the ability to share icon sets across a team is reserved for the “team” plan (if you allowed importing of custom sets).
- Make it easier to purchase single icons from within the app. I was a paid user and my subscription ran out. I didn’t want to pay a monthly fee, so I kept using Icons8 in free plan. But, I sometimes am working on a design where I find a premium icon I really want to use. But, I don’t want to have to convert to a full monthly subscription. Instead, I’d like to be able to buy just that icon. Or, like I do with Shutterstock, is I’d like to buy 5 or 10 download credits directly in the Mac app. That gives me the ability to spread out my costs across the projects I work on, and only pay for what I need.
So, those are my idea Right now, I really like IconSet app because it’s better than Icons8 in 2 important ways:
- it allows me to import my own icon sets and organize them however I want.
- it has a “hide when dragging” feature that is SOOO useful. Here’s how it works: when you click on an icon and start to drag it, it hides the app so that whatever app(s) are behind it become available. This make it so much easier to drag icons into Sketch. Especially on a laptop screen. Usually, I have to have Icons8 open but only using half the screen so that I can see Sketch on the other half and be able to drag icons to Sketch. This “hide when dragging” feature is so useful and allows me to keep IconSet full screen and see more icons when searching.